Descendants of William Millington
Norman M. Lewis, Jr.
Table of Contents
He married Mary --?--.(1)
William Millington and Mary --?-- had the following family:
Mary Ann Millington was born in England July 2, 1815.(2) Mary died December 14, 1891 in Montague County, Texas, at 76 years of age.(3) Her body was interred at Elmwood Cemetery in Bowie, Montague
She married Thomas Jarvis in the District of Totnes, County of Devon, England, April 25, 1847.(5) According to the marriage record, Thomas was 38 and bachelor. Mary Ann was 29 and a spinster. The term spinster did not always have the meaning it does today. In older times, the term simply meant a woman who had never married. Both were living in Brixham at the time of their marriage. They were married in the Registrar's office by Richard Martyn, Registrar.
Notes and References
1. Millington and Jarvis Family History, (Author unknown), August 15, 1956, (Undocumented sources) (hereafter cited as Family History, Millington and Jarvis Family).
2. Mary Ann (Millington) Jarvis, tombstone inscription, Elmwood Cemetery, Bowie, Montague County, Texas; read and photographed by Norman M. Lewis, Jr., in June 1996 (hereafter cited as Mary Ann Jarvis, Tombstone); and Thomas Jarvis & Mary Ann Millington, Marriage Record, April 25, 1847, Registrar's Book of Marriages, Entry 169: 85, Superintendent of Registrars, District of Totnes, County of Devon, Great Britain (hereafter cited as Jarvis-Millington, Marriage Record).
3. Mary Ann Jarvis, Tombstone.
4. Ibid.; and Mrs. Lola (Jarvis) Guinn to Bessie (Marshall) Young. Letter dated February 8, 1967 at Route 2, Jacksboro, Texas. In possession of Barbara (Young) Lewis (1996). (hereafter cited as Guinn to Young, Letter, 02/08/1967).
5. Jarvis-Millington, Marriage Record.
6. Ibid.; and Thomas Jarvis entry, 1850 US Census, Population Schedule, Galveston, Galveston County, Texas, Page 270, Dwelling Not Reported, Family 506, Microfilm M432, Roll 910, National Archives, Washington, DC (hereafter cited as Thomas Jarvis, 1850 US Census).
7. B. B. Paddock, A Twentieth Century History and Biographical Record of North and West Texas, 2 Volumes. (Chicago: Lewis Publishing Company, 1906), (hereafter cited as Paddock, History of North and West Texas). The date of death of Thomas Jarvis comes from him not being listed on the 1880 census with his family.
8. Guinn to Young, Letter, 02/08/1967.
--?--, Mary (marriage to William Millington) (i2315) (living status unknown)
Jarvis, Thomas (marriage to Mary Ann Millington) (i429), b.1808-d.1870
Millington, Alfred (i2319) (living status unknown)
Millington, Betsy (i2322) (living status unknown)
Millington, Charles (i2321) (living status unknown)
Millington, Edith (i2317) (living status unknown)
Millington, Edward John (i2323) (living status unknown)
Millington, Elizabeth (i2318) (living status unknown)
Millington, Frederick (i2316) (living status unknown)
Millington, Mary Ann (i430), b.1815-d.1891
Millington, William (i1762)
Millington, William (i2320) (living status unknown)
Return to Table of Contents